POSITION: GENERAL FOREMAN
REPORTING TO: SENIOR CONTRACTS MANAGER
LOCATION: SITE BASED, WINCHESTER, HAMPSHIRE
SALARY: £15-£17.50 per hour DOE
Summary of Responsibility
To organise sites so that work is carried out to the required standard with minimum risk to employees, other contractors, members of the public, equipment or materials and in accordance with the requirements of the Site Health and Safety Plan.
- To assess work activities to be carried out, plan the resources required in conjunction with the site programme to ensure that deadlines are met and related works are carried out in the correct sequence.
- To adapt plans as circumstances change and re-adjust programmes and resources accordingly.
- To develop, maintain and encourage working relationships to promote goodwill, teamwork and trust.
- To make assessments based on available data, determine the safest, most cost effective method of operation.
- To understand the relevant method statements and ensure this is communicated to the site team as appropriate
- To ensure all relevant registers are signed and in place before work commences.
- To ensure all site operatives are wearing the appropriate PPE and using the correct equipment for the task
- To understand the Company Health and Safety policy and ensure that it is brought to the attention of all employees.
- To carry out work in accordance with its requirements and notify the Senior Contracts Manager of any improvements or additions
- To ensure all Health and Safety mandates are in place including that prescribed notices are displayed and safe signs are in place.
- To ensure that all information relating to underground and overhead services on the site is obtained and that services are located, marked and plotted accurately before work starts.
- To organise the storage and use of materials and components so that materials handling and movement is efficient and wastage is minimised.
- To regularly check that work conforms to the design requirements and specific quality standards.
- To identify work that fails to meet the required quality standards and implement corrective actions as required.
- To maintain records of inspections and control procedures for quality of work.
- In conjunction with the Senior Contracts Manager and HR Manager, to identify underperformance within the team and address ensuring the correct disciplinary procedures are followed as necessary.
- To ensure that the correct setting out points, profiles and dimension check points are maintained to the correct standards.
- To maintain a current set of working drawings on site.
- To assist with the induction of new operatives on site and to keep an up to date register of inductions.
- To ensure that operatives have received the correct training and hold current training certificates for the specific tasks.
- To hold safety briefings and ensure that actions arising are carried out.
- To carry out safety inspections at agreed intervals.
- To hold weekly tool box talks on site specific health and safety issues and ensure that these talks are recorded.
- To maintain a detailed site diary listing current operations, material orders and deliveries, plant and labour resources.
- To ensure all the relevant work permits are in place before a tasks starts eg., hot works and dig permits – ensure these are filed and signed of at the correct intervals
- Keep control over all delivery notes on site and ensure these are sent to Head Office for processing
- Basic standard of education
- Educated to GCSE (or equivalent) standard
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Driving Licence
- Flexibility and a willingness to work overtime when required
- Right to work in the UK
- Fluency in the English language
- Ability to walk on all sites on uneven ground
- A level of physical fitness is required in order to properly discharge the requirements of this role.
In order to promote an environment within which the Company can call upon the widest range of knowledge, skills and experience, as well as ensuring compliance with the relevant legislation and codes of practice, we are committed to treating all applicants and employees in the same way regardless of race or colour, nationality or national or ethnic origin, religion or religious belief, sex or marital status, sexual orientation, disability or age.